Hello world! What this blog is about…August 12, 2008 at 7:32 pm | Posted in Uncategorized | 1 Comment
Tags: Add new tag, Australia, Canada, family history, genealogy, Great Britain, Ireland, United States, Whidden, Whiddon, Whitten, Whyddon
Welcome to WordPress.com. This is your first post. Edit or delete it and start blogging!
That was the first page automatically created by WordPress and since I used to dabble in C programming and this is the first programming assignment for beginning C programmer’s I like it and decided to leave it.
This page will be updated periodically as I add more things to the scope of this blog but to get started, it will be about raising funds to continue the Whyddon/Whiddon/Whidden/ Whitten research I’ve been doing for the past twenty years. However, as I am now retired, I need to find a way to bring in money for several projects and will do that here:
0 “Whidden NH, NS and Beyond 1662-2002 a family odyssey” has been completed and about twenty copies printed in a Cerlox bound, two volume, about 1,600 page edition to discover the logistics of putting it in printed form. Now I will begin a campaign to find patrons who will purchase half-page, full-page and double page directory entries to be placed in the hard copy edition of the book (the current edition has several pages of business card sized entries of Whidden/Whiddon/Whitten businesses and personal entries). Printing the two volume hard cover edition is an expensive proposition but I’m sure we can do it.
I have a dream…
- I hope to print a thousand copies of this book and have two copies placed in libraries or archives in each province of Canada or state in the United States of America.
- I would like to see copies of “Whidden NH, NS and beyond 1662-2002 a family odyssey” survive for over 400 years so our descendants have a better picture of their ancestors over 800 years.
- I would like to see the creation of a Whidden/Whitten/ Whiddon museum, archive, library to preserve artifacts, books and information on the families and facilitate continuing research supported by a foundation to insure its ongoing operation. An additional goal of this facility is to maintain and update electronic and printed copies of the material so we never lose data because of media failure or obsolescence.
- I would like to see the production of a six hour or more Whyddon, Whiddon, Whidden, Whitten video miniseries, likely on DVD, which visually documents Chagford, Devon, London, England, Portsmouth, England, New Hampshire, Maine, Massachusetts and Nova Scotia as well as Virginia, North and South Carolina, Georgia and Florida. What a thrill it will be to have a visual tour of the places our ancestors lived.
- It would be interesting to see what two or three hundred Whyddon, Whiddon, Whidden and Whitten Y-DNA37 and mtDNA tests would reveal; find patrons who can help fund tests for those who might find the cost prohibitive.
- I would like to see a Whidden/Whitten/Whiddon family reunion in the next ten years, possibly in 2010.
0 produce a blog experience for which readers are willing to pay by ongoing postings, possibly weekly, to raise funds for various projects with subscriber and patron level contributions for the blog itself. To do that one of the features will be an ongoing, continuously updated page of links here to places on the internet that provide content of interest to Whyddon/Whidden/ Whiddon/Whitten families and researchers.
That’s it for today but as I say, it will be updated frequently with items composed at home and added when I make a trip to a cybercafe; this post is being composed at the cybercafe, which is why it is briefer than I’d like.